Saturday 20 December 2014, 11:00-1:00
519 Church St.
Topic: Democracy in Canada
Proposed by: Dick Combeer
- Does your vote matter?
- In what ways is Canada a Democratic country? In what was is it not?
- In Canada, and in provincial, urban and other jurisdictions, how do you see Democracy being obviously subverted?
- How many jurisdictions do you see where democracy is simply absent?
- What is so great about Democracy?
- How and why does democracy appear to work better (or worse) in other jurisdictions (Ontario, Toronto, Unions, workplaces, etc)?
- Are there other countries where the Democratic Ideal is better understood, expressed, and implemented? Where? How?
- What is behind the typical alarmingly low voter turnout in elections here?
- How to re-energize Canada’s democracy?
Some references of interest:
Democracy, Canadian style: How do you like it so far (Lawrence Martin, The Globe and Mail, December 2009)
Election Bill an Affront to Democracy, Marc Mayrand says (CBC, February 2014)
Wikipedia article on Proportional Representation
Has Big Oil Hijacked Democracy?