Saturday 11 April 2015, 11:00-1:00
519 Church St., Meeting Room 304
Topic: Should Character Matter?
Proposed by: Dick Combeer
Should Character Matter?
1. What role should formal education have in the development of character?
2. Are Ontario public schools obliged to remove all discussion of values out of fear of offending or not catering to all groups?
3. How does this compare to the situation in the Catholic School system in Ontario, where they have the benefit of one unifying set of values?
4. In the dialectic between the cult of personality and the cult of character, could we define what values should compose "character" and could they be fundamental enough for most of our society to agree upon?
5. In the world of business, adults dealing with adults, how does character measure up against performance?